Monday, January 4, 2010

My Grandfather...

(Mom, Da, Aunt Lisa)
It's 12:00 am and I got off the phone with my mom about 45 minutes ago.  I was definitely freaked out when my phone rang at 11:00.  My grandfather ("Da") has been having breathing problems for quite awhile now.  You would really have to know him to understand most of this post....

(A couple of weeks ago he got a nebulizer but can't really use it by himself.  He REFUSES to live with anybody.  He won't consider leaving his house.  He HATES hospitals and all other things that involve any sort of healthcare.)

Apparently he was having trouble breathing and got scared enough to call my aunt. (she lives 5 minutes away... we live almost 1.5 hours away)  He agreed to go to the hospital (totally freaks me out).  His o2 sats were low (high 70s) but the medics were able to get them up pretty quickly.  My mom is on her way to make sure that he stays in the hospital and gets the proper treatment b/c he will try to leave and convince them that he is just fine.

I am so torn about being here and working tomorrow and not being there. I know there's nothing I can do and he will be fine... for now.  I am afraid that this is just the beginning...


************Update: He was admitted to a semi-private room with an 83 year old african american man.  I hope he doesn't make a scene.  He's refused to take his clothes off to put on the gown/scrubs but he did take off  his shoes.  I've never seen my Da without shoes on that I can remember.  He's doing better but there's just no cure for bad lungs.

PS... I'm at work and don't want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?