Friday, December 23, 2011

What do you want for Christmas??

"What do you want for Christmas? What are you getting for Christmas? What's Santa bringing you?"

Sound familiar? I've said it to probably every kid I've come in contact with around Christmas for the past 10 years or more. Why? Because that's what people said to me when I was little.

This year, I have been very aware of and uncomfortable with the idea of secular Christmas traditions. I think at the heart of them, they are fun and harmless. It becomes harmful when Santa is the focus and not just a fun addition.

We are so very blessed  beyond our imagination. This year, we are really trying to focus on what we can do for others, how we can show Jesus to someone in need, and enjoy time with family and friends.

Over the past week I've been asking my pediatric patients "What is Christmas?". I was humbled that most of them said, "Christmas is Jesus's birthday!". Thank you parents for teaching your kids what it's really all about! I want to challenge you to ask kids what they are giving this year rather than what they are getting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?